Sip x Celebrate: Three Health-Conscious Drinks For Your 2016
New Year’s Eve is right around the corner and although drinks are not in the plans at Casa de FitXBrit due to last year’s shenanigans *Insert heavy eye rolls*, I still want all of you guys to be well prepared and armed full of somewhat healthy choices when it comes to ringing in the New Year with a drink or two!
Note: None of these choices are considered healthy when you multiply them by 10, 5, or even 3; this list is based off of one (count it: 1) drink a day. Our bodies digest alcohol as a toxin so “healthy” is used in a very abstract sense of the term.
Now that we’ve got the disclaimers out of the way, here are 3 of our favorite health-conscious alcoholic beverages.
1. Michelada: This drink consists of lager, limes, Worcestershire sauce, Valentina hot sauce, black pepper, sea salt, and ice. This is a new one for me, I recently tried this after seeing images flood my instagram timeline on various Saturday nights. in terms of beer it tastes best if you use Tecate or Modelo Especial. Beer itself is not considered healthy in large quantities, but if you decide to go for a 100 or less option then you’ll be on the healthier track.
- 12 oz of beer
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 dash Soy Sauce
2. Manhattan: This drink is packed with flavor and has A certain elegance that would make it a go-to for any special ocassion( and a perfect accessory for that little black dress, ladies).
- Sweet Vermouth
- Angostura blitters bourbon ( generally ranges between 97 and 110 calories per 1.5 ounces, depending on the brand) So you get fifty times more flavor for a small amount of calories. That sounds like a win right?!
3. Wine: A bit of wine is actually pretty good for you. Red wine packs a ton of nutritional value. It contains 4-9% of your DRI(daily recommended intake) of iron, 9.4% of potassium, and 55 of magnesium. But, it is also filled with antioxidants. (Health.com)
One more disclaimer: Drinking and driving is a no no! So if you plan on drinking, we strongly recommend taking an Uber to and from your party destination. In fact, if you do use code v3ntz and tell them FitXBrit sent you!
Be smart and have fun friends!